In keeping with my 30 before 30 list I’ve made one of Eggtons recipes, this time chilled honey oats. For a while now I’ve wanted to try out refrigerating oats, there are a ton of recipes and tasty looking pictures these days on social media that have enticed me to finally do it.
Though I really have no idea how so many people can take such nice pictures of oats. Seriously. It’s ridiculously difficult.
As per the usual I followed Eggtons recipe essentially to a T.
- 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1 c. whole milk (or cream)
- 1/2 c. of your favorite yogurt
- 2 tsp. honey (can substitute agave nectar – though I don’t know what this actually is)
- 1 tsp. chopped orange peel (from 1 orange)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 2 tart apples (such as granny smith or pink ladies)
- other fruits or berries (optional)
- nuts (optional)
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight (I chose over night, because I wanted to eat the oats for breakfast).
- Prior to serving, peel the apples and shred them down to the core using the side of a cheese grater that you’d use to shred cheese for a pizza. Do this directly prior to eating so your apples don’t turn brown.
- Toss the apple into the mix and stir to combine. Taste it. Adjust the consistency and flavors as desired–you can add more orange juice for acidity, milk or cream to thin it out, and honey to pick up the sweetness.
- Serve with berries, other fresh fruit, and your favorite nuts.