Have you seen this movie? It. Is. So. Awesome. I had never seen a movie actually in Japanese, with subtitles and everything. Man am I glad I started with this one. It’s from IMDb’s top 250 list that I’ve talked about before.
Here are my thoughts on the movie, of course without giving away any spoilers, because you guys gotta go see this one for yourselves!
- I had no idea all Japanese men bald in the exact same pattern. Apparently even very early in life.
- The farmers were sitting in the so-called third world squat – which is interesting because it’s discussed in the weight lifting world as the go to for form improvements. Those farmers could probably learn to squat a lot, and fast!
- It was very thoughtful of the sound editors to always play chirping birds during the daytime and hooting owls during the night-time – so the viewers wouldn’t get confused.
- When were muskets invented?
My favorite lines from the movie:
- Even bears come down from the mountains when they’re hungry.
- A true samurai won’t get hit.
- Won’t fall for that trick again, eh?
You may be wondering about that last quote, doesn’t seem particularly zen or samurai-like. I just thought it was hilarious that it was apparently Canadians who translated the Japanese. Eh?
Now, go watch. This movie was so good.